Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Concrete Jungle


So I know it been about a year since I last posted on this page and I apologize for that. Thing is, life got pretty crazy and its taken quite a bit of time for me to adjust and settle into it, but I now realize that blogging about it would be quite possibly the best way for me to remember it and many of you fashion-lovers might actually find it interesting.

First and foremost, let me update you on what has happened since I last posted: I got into Parsons the New School for Design's AAS Fashion Design program last year and as a result, I am now living in New York City. Pretty cool stuff huh?

I applied in 2010 to the program in the hopes that somehow I may just get in, and when I did, I spent a good hour jumping around my brother's apartment in Montreal in joy and disbelief. It seemed my life was finally getting on track, and on January 16th, 2011, I followed my ambitions to become an eveningwear designer to a city I had never set foot in before: The Big Apple itself aka NYC.

I hated it at first. I was stuck living in an "open space" i.e. the living room of a one bedroom suite with 3 other girls I knew nothing about. They were nice enough, but I couldn't help missing my comfortable, relaxed, Canadian lifestyle where I was lucky enough to constantly be surrounded by friends whom I loved and knew. Furthermore, I was bewildered by the masses that walk the streets of New York on a daily basis. What's there to love I thought? The dirty streets with their piles of garbage bags, the depressing subway stations and not having anyone to talk to for days really made me question the validity and sanity of my decision to move into a place where I knew noone and knew nothing about.

Its been 11 months now, and my feelings have truly changed. The phrase "Never judge a book by its cover" could not be more suited to anyplace in the world other than NYC. A few close friends, and a ton of exhilarating yet exhausted experiences later, I have fallen in love with this bizarre city I have come to call home. The opportunities this place has to offer coupled with the attitudes of the people living here have truly inspired me in a way like no other. And not writing about it and sharing it with you all would truly be injustice to a blog which I started as a dedication to my love for fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment